The Dolomites -UNESCO World Natural Heritage
A natural sensation with special effects
Majestic peaks, bizarre rock towers with sharp profiles, deep valleys and smooth hills – and such a peculiar rock type to have named a whole mountain range. The Dolomites, a fountain of energy, that captures your gaze and senses like a magnet and provides intense emotions.
Be enchanted by the magic of the Alpe di Siusi at sunrise, admire the fiery glow of the Sella Towers and the Sassolungo at sunset, be lost in the alpine silence and scents, the crystal air and lush green pastures.
Their beauty can be admired from the panoramic glass windows and exclusive ambience of the Adler BALANCE, their outlines can be appreciated during a walk on the morning dew, their force produces beneficial effects on your health, supporting the production of endorphins, improving your mood and sleep quality and increasing your sensation of well-being. The crystal-clear water you can enjoy during the meals pours from their sources, unpolluted and revitalized, to produce salutary effects on your health.
Be prepared for a one-of-a-lifetime holiday experience.
Val Gardena in the Italian Dolomites
An exceptional stage for nature’s show: endless alpine pastures dotted with a myriad of beautiful flowers in the summertime and a white snow coat for a charming and cocoon-like mountain atmosphere in winter.
Outstanding alpine landscapes and more than 300 days of sunshine a year make South Tyrol and the Dolomites the perfect holiday destination all year round. While driving on the serpentine road to Val Gardena, vineyards and apple orchards gradually give way to dense mountain woods. At your arrival in Ortisei, the wooden architecture of the Adler hotel and the traditional Tyrolean houses will await you, with the profile of the Dolomites glowing in the background.
Val Gardena is located within Europe’s biggest ski and hiking carousel and, thanks to its landscape variety and year-round offers, it is one of the most prominent holiday destinations in the Alps. Due to its calm and central position, Adler BALANCE will be your starting point for numerous outdoor holiday adventures.
Grown out of the sea more than 200 million years ago as the result of the collision of the Adriatic and Eurasian plate, these mountains were christened 200 years ago by the French naturalist Déodat de Dolomieu, who was the first to discover a rock type formed by petrified coral reef in the Northern Italian Alps. In June 2009, the Dolomites were placed on the UNESCO World Natural Heritage list.
Beautiful and majestic peaks soaring up to the sky with jagged pinnacles or more gentle hills. Rock walls interrupted by deep valleys that reveal their long history through rock layers, while their shape tells about the geological age that has turned them into impressive testimonies of the world’s evolution history.
The Dolomites: a gift from mother earth, which vests the so-called “pale mountains” with splendour at any time of the day, a natural heritage site to be explored all year round, following the signposted paths and respecting its magnificence.
Ortisei, the main village of the valley, welcomes you with its traditional wooden houses and blooming balconies, the main square and the friendly pedestrian area enclosing little shops of local specialities and the typical wooden sculptures and handicrafts.
In fact, Val Gardena is also renowned for being the cradle of the traditional woodcarving. In the past centuries, many of the skilled sculptors and craftsmen ventured out of the valley to create wooden sculptures and altars in the most prestigious churches and cathedrals around the world.
When returning home, they started to decorate their traditional costumes with silk, ribbons, special fabrics and jewels purchased on their journeys, making these costumes some of the most beautiful and precious of the Alps. When the locals proudly present them during local festivals, you will fall in love with coats and hats, waistcoats and belt buckles: look for them in Ortisei’s shops and buy a souvenir from Val Gardena to display on special occasions!
Located in a quiet area on the sunny side of Ortisei: Adler BALANCE is the ideal hotel for your health and wellness holiday.
A great variety of outdoor activities
Summer excursions on the scenic mountain paths surrounded by blooming alpine pastures or skiing fun on the downhill runs of Val Gardena at the heart of the Dolomites – there is always a good reason to engage in outdoor activities while enjoying a breath-taking natural landscape.
Discover the endless possibilities day by day: pleasant excursions, mountain bike or Nordic walking tours on picturesque mountain paths, meditative walks to search for mountain herbs….
In winter, the ”Dolomiti Superski”, the world’s biggest interconnected ski area, awaits you for endless skiing fun and adventures. If you’re looking for some peace and quiet, you can enjoy romantic snowshoe walks or excursions by horse-drawn carriage.
The great variety of summer outdoor activities can be enjoyed from spring to late autumn and a rich programme of winter outdoor activities can be appreciated during the winter months.
Feel the thrill and enthusiasm to engage in outdoor activities in the revitalising and pristine mountain air.
Winter outdoor programme
- Winter walks and snowshoe excursions, a healthy outdoor activity for everyone
- Cross-country skiing on the sunny Alpe di Siusi, Monte Pana or Vallunga
- cross-country ski station at ADLER Mountain Lodge on Alpe di Siusi
- Guided nordic walking excursions in the crisp mountain air
- Thrilling sledge fun at Rasciesa or Alpe di Siusi
- Romantic excursions on horse-drawn carriage in the magic atmosphere of the Alpe di Siusi
- Guaranteed skiing fun on the world’s largest ski carousel Dolomiti Superski, with 450 state-of-the-art lift facilities and 1,200 km of perfectly groomed and sun kissed slopes
- Daily ski-guiding and ski-safari, for intermediate and experienced skiers with our guides Thaddäus, Leo and Georg
- Backcountry skiing taster trip: after an introduction to the theory, you can lay your first trail through the virgin snow under the watchful eye of our ski guides
- The ADLER ski service package includes ski-pass service, booking service for ski courses and individual lessons as well as ski rental and ski service
Summer outdoor programme
- Two daily guided walks, for intermediate and experienced hikers
- Botanic tours, among the lush green and blooming alpine meadows
- Naturalistic-geological excursions to learn about the extraordinary evolution history of the Dolomites
- Morning excursions to experience the nature’s awakening and the mountain sunrise
- Kneipp excursions in the crystal-clear water of a mountain stream, a real natural elixir
- Evening excursions to admire the magic mountain sunset
- Nordic walking excursion, immersed in outstanding natural surroundings
- Mountain-bike tours on scenic alpine paths (free mountain-bike rental)
- NEW: as a commitment to preserve our DOLOMITES, UNESCO Natural Heritage – free public transport on buses and regional trains with the Val Gardena Mobilcard